Kärt Ojavee (Ph.D.) is an artist, designer and lecturer. Her work is focused on future concepts of textiles and (inter)active interior fabrics. She experiments with new technologies and traditional textile fabricating techniques, testing the borders of both disciplines.
In 2013 she defended her dissertation “Active Smart Interior Textiles: interactive soft displays” at the Estonian Academy of Arts, supervised by Maarja Kruusmaa at the Centre for Biorobotics.
In 2012 she received a young designer award Säsi. The same year, Ojavee’s and Eszter Ozsvald’s installation “SymbiosisW” won II prize at Be Open awards and was a runner-up at the Core77 design awards.
Besides working on her own practice Ojavee is currently a research fellow at the Estonian Academy of Arts’ Interior Architecture Department where her focus is on experimental biomaterials and living materials (Stuudio Aine).
Selected projects and exhibitions
- 2020 "Leviathan: the Paljassaare Chapter", installation, Kai Art Center, Tallinn, EE
- 2020 "Lehman Brothers", costume design, Estonian Drama Theatre, Tallinn, EE
- 2019 "Interwoven" with Johanna Ulfsak, Espoo Modern Art Museum, Espoo, FI
- 2019 "The Estate: Autumn" by Tobias Kaspar, KIM Gallery, Riga, LV
- 2019 "MATERJAL I", curated with Stuudio Aine, Tallinn, EE
- 2019 "The Estate: Summer" by Tobias Kaspar, KIM Gallery, Salacgriva, LV
- 2019 "Identity", 6th Riga International Textile and Fibre Art Triennial Exhibition, Riga, LV
- 2018 "Save As" with Johanna Ulfsak, Temnikova & Kasela Gallery, Tallinn, EE
- 2018 "Estonian Games: TÖNK" costumes and stage design in collaboration with Edith Karlson, Tartu, EE
- 2018 "Artishok Biennale", Balti Jaam, Tallinn, EE
- 2017—2018 "Intermedial", European Parliament building, Brussels, BE
- 2017 "Live Streams XL" with Johanna Ulfsak, Estonian Presidency in Creative Hub, Tallinn, EE
- 2016 "Live Streams" with Johanna Ulfsak, HOP Gallery, Tallinn, EE
- 2014 "Building With Textiles", Tilburg Textile Museum, Tilburg, NL
- 2014 “Human Play”, Scin Gallery, London, UK
- 2014 Köler Prize nominees exhibition, EKKM, Tallinn, EE
- 2012“UUO: undefined useful objects” solo exhibition, Estonian Design and Applied Art Museum, Tallinn, EE
- 2012 "SymbiosisO: Voxel” in collaboration with Ester Ozsvald and Alex Dodge, Issey Miyake Tribeca, New York, US
Kärt Ojavee’s works are a part of public collection of the Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design